Thursday, November 16, 2006

Miracles for $49.95

Last night was a rough night. Aiden decided to wake up to eat at 3:30am. So we fed him and then put him back to bed. However seeing he had slept for most of the evening he was up and ready to party. (this is what you have to look forward to Jeff and Cydele!!) Anyway, seeing I was wide-awake with my buddy at 4:30am we decided to watch some TV. Have you ever seen what’s on TV at 4:30am? Basically TV consists of 2 things at that time: infomercials and TV evangelists. So I watched them for a while. First there’s a guy selling a real estate course. He promises that if you will send him four easy payments of only $49.95, this course will train you how to make big bucks in real estate. Then come the testimonies of all the people who have made thousands of dollars through this life-changing course. One thing I noticed was the little legal line in fine print that was displayed during the testimony time that said results not typical.
After a few minutes of this commercial I turned the channel and caught a late night TV evangelist. So I decided to watch him. He was telling people the promises of God’s Word to heal them through prayer. He said that if you were willing to give a gift to his ministry of $50.00 or more then he would send you a vile of miracle spring water. This was special water that he and his team had prayed over and when you receive it you could dip your finger in it or pour it all over yourself and you could receive a miracle. Then came the testimonies of people that had been in this man’s services. They were testifying to how God had healed them and touched them in that service. (No legal line this time, I think there should be one)
Both the infomercial and the evangelist promised miracles that would change your life, if you would send them a mere $49.95. It’s interesting that both of them promised miracles for money. I have to admit I turned off the TV and felt rather ill. I hate it when I see these Jesus infomercials. First off Jesus didn’t die so a man like this could make money. In fact he didn’t die simply to provide miracles for $49.95. He gave his life so that we can have relationship with God and walk with him.
Don’t get sucked into this world, so many people do. Be wise and discern what is real and what is not. The miracles that Jesus can do for you are not for sale, all you have to is give him your life

When I was watching the evangelist I wished I had a Magic Bullet. (Ha, Ha)

PJ

3 comments:

AviaB said...

I love infomercials.....I don't know why. But then again I have an affinity for super cheesy things. Hey.....I do have a "Magic Bullet" if you need it. Bought it off an informercial in 2000.

Beth said...

uh....should I request my money back then my miracle water didn't work - was I not supposed to drink it?? :P

Anonymous said...

It's personally a pet peeve of mine that we, as christians, are linked to this self promotion. Jesus never had a road side stand handing out holy water, holy handkerchiefs or holy autographed photos for a small one time payment.

For those that think the church is only after our money, they have ammunition if they ever do tune into one of these shows.

I don't understand the "believers" that shell out cash for this stuff. Miracles, just like salvation can't be bought. I guess in a world where we charge money for water to drink and air for our cars, free seems too good to be true. Just ask the people who wanted to come to the free store, but were skeptical.