Thursday, October 19, 2006

Lessons My Mum Taught me


So last week we had our grand opening service. The stage in the church is black, so to lighten things up a bit we put Yellow and orange Mum's on the stage.

It looked great, made everything come together. At the end of the service some of the ladies in the church were moving the Mum's out of the sanctuary into the lobby of the church. I was about to ask why when I realized that it was because the Mums needed to be in the light to survive.

Yesterday Christa talked about gravity and needing to stay in the light. She was quoting a John Mayer song ( I think she likes his music, just guessing). Anyway in the songs Mayer says he needs to stay in the light. That's what made me think about these Mums, they need to stay in the light to survive as well.

We can be so busy everyday running around doing the day to day stuff, that we forget to take some time to get into the light. As Christians how long can we survive without exposing ourselves to the light of God.

I remember growing bean sprouts in Science class. Some we grew in the light, and others we put in the darkness. The ones that were in the light were healthy and strong, but the ones in the dark, were off color and weak.

There are a lot of us that are weak Christians, and I think a lot of that has to do with how much time we spend in the light. That's one of the reasons why we do this devotional blog to give us some time each day that we can spend in the light to make us just a little bit more healthy.

John 8:12 says "Jesus spoke to the people once more and said, “I am the light of the world. If you follow me, you won’t have to walk in darkness, because you will have the light that leads to life.”

How much time do you spend in the light? Then again I'm talking to the people that actually do read this blog. I guess I might be preaching to the choir a bit.

Check out the blog next week, and make sure to comment don't be a lurker (nice word)

PJ

4 comments:

Beth said...

I can personally say though Jamie that even if you are preaching to the choir so to speak maybe the choir needs to hear that. I know I do. It's been a really rough week - oh who am I kidding? Year. And sometimes it feels like even getting to the tiniest bit of light is like trying to get your head above water. Hard. I am sure I am not the only one feeling like this....I know we are all out there - Christians since before we can even remember but still questioning and searching for some kind of explination - no - releif for what we are going through. I am learning it is ok to question things - questions mean we have not stopped wondering. I know I am rambling but really I think that it is ok to be honest with your friends - maybe then someone else will know they are not alone in how they feel. Thanks for this blogotional - I needed some light today to keep me from falling apart at the seems.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was reading Oswald Chambers today (not his Mum) & he was talking about this very thing! Here are some quotes;

'The greatest enemy of the Lord Jesus Christ today is the idea of practical work that has no basis in the New Testament but comes from the systems of the world. This work insists on endless energy & activities but no private life with God.....In our Lord's life there was none of the pressure & the rushing of tremendous activity that we regard so highly today & a disciple is to be like His Master. The central point of the kingdom of Jesus Christ is a personal relationship with Him, not public usefulness to others...If you waste your time in overactivity instead of being immersed in the great fundamental truths of God's redemption, then you will snap when the stress & strain do come.'

Anonymous said...

Yeah that is a really good quote, (Oswald Chambers) I know that for me i tend to get overwhelmed with things going on in the world that i forget about my personal relationship with God. I remember especially when i worked at Maple Creek Ranch. There would be children all around constantly that all want your attention and i get overwhelmed with everything. I think that if you are just doing works for God and not working on your personal relationship, we may stray from the path and not really working for God as much as we think we may be.

Anonymous said...

I also can personally relate to what you wrote Jamie...I know that this past year as well i have found it difficult to be in the light.....The days are busy and at night i just want to go to bed....I desperatley want more of God and I am truly trying to be in the light more and more each day. I also know that we are all not perfect and that God does understand that we are busy but He died on the cross for us and our sins and all he asks of us is to walk in the light and be in the light...it's so simple to say but sometimes can be hard to do. This really has me thinking...thanks PJ