Thursday, October 26, 2006

Smashing Pumpkins

Last night the family and I went out for about an hour. We left at 6:00pm and we were home by 7:30pm. However in that short period of time a crime was committed. That's right our home was vandalized, somebody smashed our pumpkin.
It was smashed in the middle of the driveway, and so I stopped the van and got out and hide the body so that the shock of this crime would not effect our kids. After we put the kids to bed I went outside to investigate the crime scene. Where is Horatio Cane when you need him? Anyway I looked up and down the street to see if I was the only victim of the rampage of crime, it seemed that we were.
Then thoughts ran through my head, I wondered if we were targeted for such an attack, and if we were by who? Could it be someone that didn't like us because we did something to them? Could it be someone from Life Church that didn't appreciate the sermon on Halloween that I preached on Sunday? Who ever it was I knew one thing, I'll never figure it out.
It's interesting to me that when something bad happens we always want to know: WHY ME?
Why would I be the one selected to deal with this bad event. We ask ourselves questions like is it a test? Is there some kind of sin in my life and I'm being punished? Is there something God wants me to learn?
I remember when September 11th happened a lot of people were asking why? And some pastors tried to give answers to that question but all the attempts to answer WHY were pretty lame. Sometimes I think that there is no answer to that question, or maybe there is but only God knows what it is.
Solomon was known for his Wisdom. If there was any author in Scripture that should have the answer to why it's him. Yet after years of study and seeking answers this is what he came up with:
Ecclesiastes 1:2 "Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless."
Wow I feel better what about you? Sometimes there is no answer that we can figure out to why? Why something happens, to good people.
However I do know that God is in control, and my job in this thing called life is to be faithful to Him through everything, good or bad.

I've got to go now and buy and new pumpkin!

PJ :)
P.S. I tried to put the pic of this up but It's not working, so if you want to see the pic of my smashed pumpkin, check out the lifechurch flickr site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes things like this happen so that you can share your opinions with others. Over the past year I have done a lot of searching for answers because of several devastating things that have happened in my life, and I have come to the conclusion that no matter how hard I try to figure it out, I will never truly know the answer.

All I know is that everything happens for a reason, and God is in control of everything that happens. Whether it is losing a pumpkin, or a loved one, there is most definately a reason and lesson behind it.

I have been dealing with several losses over the past year, and the only thing that has come from it, is Me finding my way back to Church and God. I don't beleive that God took those people from my life to teach me a lesson, but I do beleive that as a result of it, I have returned to a place I should have never left, and because of that, others will eventually arrive at the same place that they need to be.

Bad things inevitably happen to good,even great people....and good and great things happen to bad people. It is a visious and confusing circle, but if one positive thing comes from my or your trials, then it was worth it!